Greetings everyone, despite what you may have heard I am very much still alive and here to give you my best and worst of 2014 list.
Let’s start things off with the best. DISCLAIMER, some of these may not have been released in 2014 but are movies that I saw for the first time this year.
10. Oculus – This movie had some strengths and weaknesses but when it was on, oh MAN was it on. Add to this my undying love of Karen Gillan (She’s a Scot, my family is from Scotland. She’s from Inverness, I’ve been to Inverness) and it was destined to make my list.
9. Horns – Daniel Radcliffe has come a long way from his Harry Potter days. This movie based on the Joe Hill novel was a fun watch from start to finish.
8. Thanatomorphose – This is one of the most fucked up movies I’ve ever seen. It was a little pretentious in spots but it was a great watch.
7. Deliver Us From Evil – I love Eric Bana and I love movies with religious subtext. Add those together and your movie will make my best of the year list.
6. Proxy – It’s pretty rare that a movie will genuinely shock me with plot twists any more. This movie accomplished that. Many times.
5. You’re Next – Look, I hate Ti West but this was just a fun movie to watch. Even Ms.Horror-Writers loved it so that’s a victory for me.
4. The Taking of Deborah Logan – This movie has absolutely no reason to be this high on the list. It’s not perfect and it suffers in areas but I found myself thinking about it for a week or so afterwards. Highly recommended
3. Tusk – This movie was strange and at times I found it really stupid but it earns a spot this high because it actually tried something new. I think Kevin Smith is a pretentious blowhard but he knows how to make a good movie.
2. The Seasoning House – This is the rare type of movie that’s authentically disturbing. The subject matter is handled well and from the stories I’ve heard from my military family, stuff like this happens more than you’d think. Give it a watch.
1. The Babadook – There really could be no other movie in the number 1 spot. It did have its slower moments and the writing wasn’t as tight in some areas but it’s a wonderful movie about a woman teetering on the edge of insanity. The performances are wonderful from the entire cast.
THE WORST OF 2014
10. Life After Beth – I really liked this movie the first time I watched it but it completely fell apart on the second watch. It’s up here for that reason only. I do recommend watching it at least once though.
9. The Quiet Ones – Stellar cast couldn’t save this trainwreck.
8. The Purge: Anarchy – The only saving grace of the first movie was the cast. There was nothing good about this one.
7. Leprechaun Origins – Just…no.
6. Dracula 3D – I WILL NEVER FORGET THE TORMENT THIS MOVIE PUT ME THROUGH
5. Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones – What a terrible film. Nothing at all worth watching about it.
4. The ABC’s Of Death 2 – Fuck everything this movie stands for. Pure garbage. Worse than the first one.
3. V/H/S Viral – I am so sick of these movies.
2. The Canal – There was quite a bit of hype for this movie when I first watched it and it failed me on every level.
1. Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones – I hate this movie almost as much as I hate Dracula 3D. I want an apology from the film makers for this one. It’s atrocious.
Marble Hornets – Marble Hornets is a Youtube video series that started about 5 years ago. Initially based off of the Slenderman mythos this web series actually created most of the themes we associate with the character today. It has its ups and downs for sure, but I was thoroughly hooked the entire time and sad when it finished. Give it a watch, buy the dvd’s and enjoy the journey.